Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Perfect Story of Romance


HOW I MET HER
Ok before you think what sort of dude puts up a picture of a woman on a 43" plasma screen," like I just did, let me explain.
Adedayo Owoade's entrance into my life can pass as one of those fairytale stories...but more apt, I consider it as a story God had written and just allowed it unfold in our lives...so this is my side of the story.
8.10pm, January 8, 2012, Kayode Taiwo Street, Magodo GRA. I reversed my car to park next to my friend Dipo Sonaike and the tall, dark woman beside him. In my jovial mood, I walked to them and prostrated half-way to greet the woman he had told me was his HOD in church. "Eka le ma," I said as I 'formed' prostrating. Little did I know she had jokes too! Before you could say 'Adeleketemidayo', this woman goes fully on her two knees to say 'Eka le sir!" I didn't see that coming so I quickly stood up and begged her to stand up too...lol! No spoil my ministry abeg!
But I was impressed. She got me with her attitude - not taking yourself too serious.
Let me back up a bit so you understand better. A couple of months before meeting her, I had prayed to God on wife matters and He gave me what I considered a funny answer back then: "Go and do my work." I prayed three times and got the same answer. In my mind I was like, what does woman have to do with work (work in this case being Present Fathers Ministry). Well, I got the message and went about doing the work. December 2011 was upon us and we were planning a prayer meeting for January 2012 when tragedy struck my family. My sister's husband died. It was a trying period for us. As a way of comforting her, I put my house under lock and moved in with them in Magodo - until things stabilized a bit.
Dipo Sonaike then comes to our house to extend his condolences to my sister on the afternoon of January 8. This is where things took a turn in Dayo's direction. He showed me her picture and gave a brief profile on her and says "Egbon, you guys will fit each other gan! I wan make you meet am." I liked what I saw in the picture and thought meeting her won't be bad...well, looking back, it was a smart thing to do.
So we met that evening and I also invited her for the prayer meeting we were organizing...that gesture confirmed one of her request to God on the kind of man she wanted - that he be a man of prayer....before we sound all spirikoko, we exchanged PINS and so began our journey together.
I bless God for the evening of January 8th, 2012. There I was being a helper to my sister's family not knowing all was part of a bigger picture of Him sending my helper my way. I had no business in Magodo if not for my sister's family. Come March 23rd, 2013, I'll reap the fruit of obedience.
I'm sure you will get a better picture from reading her version of how we met.

HOW I MET HIM
Jan 8 2012, 8.10pm prescisely on Kayode Taiwo, Magodo Estate was when I laid eyes on him. It was a sunday evening, I had just made my hair and was walking my dear friend and "son" Dipo to the gate.
Let me back track a bit. Earlier in the day, Dipo had come to pay me a visit and basically hang out with me whilst I made my hair. After like an hour he told me he wanted to go visit a "good friend" of his who was a couple of streets away staying with his sister who had just lost her husband and then he decided to show me a picture of the friend. A good looking guy I said and that was it. So he went to visit and came back.
On our way out of the house, he kept telling me I want you to meet my friend and I was wondering, which one be this again o as he made me walk to the friend's house. on getting there, the friend wasn't home. Oya let's go o! He sha kept insisting and called the friend who said he will meet us on the way.
So we walked out of the street and got on Kayode Taiwo we realized that the friend had apparently drove past us. Anyway, he turned back, parked his car, got down from the car, and said, "Ekale ma". Me wey i get kolo, I just knelt down and said, "Ekale sir". After all, two can play at that game, right?
So that was how I met him and like they say, the rest is History! LOL!
Okay, for those who are itching for more gist, the story continues.
There we were, two strangers, me I stood aside and allowed Dipo to introduce us. Of course, in his very 'proud' fashion, Aladekoba Adeleke Segun is my name. And then he mentioned he had a ministry, Present Fathers (PF), and was telling me about it and how they were organizing a prayer meeting for the 21st of the month. Nice one, I thought to myself. Anyway, whilst we were talking, my brother passes by and as he was a new father in town, I called him over to meet my new friend, Leke and told Leke to invite him for the prayer meeting. Afterwards, we said our goodbyes, but for me, somewhere in me, he had registered!
So the week began, Occupy Nigeria week and I was home one day when Dipo pinged me, Leke asked for your PIN. I replied, why o? Abeg o, I no want any drama. LOL! Anyway, the excuse, he wants to invite your brother for the PF meeting. Indeed, I thought to myself. Anyway, you can give him, I replied. So he added me and didn't chat with me all through that week till the following tuesday when we resumed at work from the strike.
Well, that was where the communication began and here we are...on the journey to join ourselves as one.
PUTTING A RING ON IT
The proposal wasn't just a matter of 'when' but 'how.' Being the creative head I am, I had loads of options in my head - some simple, others what you'd call crazy (for instance, deploying a banner on 3rd mainland bridge during the traffic rush hour which said 'Marry Me Adedayo'). It became a clash of ideas so I did what I usually do in times like this...I let everything go and let the idea come to me.
I started proposing way back June. I dropped her off at home one Saturday evening and got down from the car to open the door for her. I took her hand, took of the ring I was wearing, went on my knees, put the ring on her finger and said these words "...this is not a proposal...call it a pre-proposal but the next time I go down on my knees...I want to know that you will honour me by saying 'Yes'" Sh nodded in affirmation and whispered 'Yes.' All I wanted to see was the look on her face and it was beautiful - she didn't see it coming!
Then again in September - 26th to be precise - when I sent her flowers at work. We had an argument the day before so I used it as a means of showing how much I cared for her. Then in that moment, it hit me - My Babeem would become God's perfection of a woman for me (my number 7 woman) so I sent her 6 stems of flowers with a note that said "...there are 6 stems for a reason."
The 7th stem would have something to do with the ring. Furthermore, the ring has to tie into what we believed and liked. I found just the perfect one - a white gold ring with three clusters of crystals that represented 'Dee and I with God in the center - meaning the more we leaned on God, the closer we become and put together, our true beauty comes out for all to see.
So when I bought the ring at 3.45pm on the 11th of December and asked for a case, I was shocked when they brought out a rose shaped case. Boom! it was settled...I had made the right choice.
At the root of things, I'm a simple man so on the 15th of December, 2012, at exactly 7.15pm, I opted for the simple proposal (she says it best in 'Opening the 7th Stem').


No comments:

Post a Comment